17 Nov 2021
We join the world in celebrating the International Men`s Day (IMD), a day commemorated globally on the 19th of November, to celebrate men`s positive contributions in all facets of life. The day is an opportunity for people of goodwill, to appreciate and celebrate the men in their lives and the contribution they make to society for the greater good of all. As a Bank, we view this this as a positive trajectory, whereby men are regarded as partners and allies in development.
This year`s celebrations are being held under the theme "Better relations between men and women”. The theme resonates well with the principles outlined in the IDBZ Gender Policy of ensuring that all individuals understand and demonstrate attitudes and behaviours that promote gender equality and equity. The theme is drawn from one of the six pillars on the founding of the IMD viz;
- To promote positive male role models; not just movie stars and sports men but every day, working class men who are living decent, honest lives.
- To celebrate men’s positive contributions to society, community, family, marriage, childcare, and to the environment.
- To focus on men’s health and wellbeing; social, emotional, physical, and spiritual.
- To highlight discrimination against males, in areas of social services, social attitudes and expectations, and law.
- To improve gender relations and promote gender equality.
- To create a safer, better world; where people can be safe and grow to reach their full potential.
Let us join hands in promoting the basic human rights at the same time raising awareness towards men`s issues.